A simple yet tasty and versatile recipe that can be used as an appetizer or main dish. This was created by my friend Mark. He showed it to my friends and I about ten years ago. And we now eat it quite often and have adapted it to be a main course in addition to the appetizer it was intended to be. As an appetizer it is typically served with Club Crackers or crusty Italian bread. We adapted it to be a main dish by dishing it over top of ditalini pasta. Over top of it sprinkle generously parmesan cheese to your taste.
Hot & Sweet Peppers
- 6 Cans Italian Stewed Tomatoes Use the 14.5 ounce cans(any brand).
- 3 Large Vidalia Onions You may use any type of sweet onion you like or that is available.
- 2 Pounds Hot Bananna Peppers You may want to use gloves when chopping these peppers.
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar You will need at least 1 cup for this 4 quart recipe. Taste along the way as you may want to add more as suits your palate.
- Water Add enough to bring the liquid to within 2 inches of the top of the 6 quart stock pot.
- Peel the onions, slice off the ends, and chop them into pieces of any shape that are roughly 1/2" to 3/4" in size. Set these to the side.
- Rinse the peppers in cold water. You may want to put on gloves before chopping these peppers. Slice off the tops of the Hot Peppers. Remove the guts and set them to the side in a bowl. They are going to be added to the stockpot. Again shape does not matter. You can cut the peppers in 1/2" rings if you like. Or cut the peppers lengthwise and then 1/2" pieces. Whatever you desire.
- Now that you have cut the peppers and onions. You can start filling the stockpot. First add all of the stewed tomatoes.
- Toss in the onions and stir in with the tomatoes as well as is possible. No strict requirements here, or on the peppers.
- Add in the peppers and fold in with the tomatoes and onions. Pot is going to be very full. This will cook down greatly.
- pour in your water and add the sugar in any order.
- Simmer over medium heat until the mixture is cooked down to about 4 quarts. There should be a decent amount of liquid. The process will probably take about 2 hours. Add sugar along the way to get it to your desired sweetness. This is intended to be a very hot and very sweet dish.